Shopping Cart

No products in the cart.

Welcome to the family

Make your pet's life easier

If you care for an aging, disabled, or injured pet, you've come to the right place!

We want to offer you 5% OFF for your aging, disabled, or injured pet

In order to receive this offer,

click the button below and enter your email address

Enter Your Email

What Makes the SureFit® Calculator the Best Choice?

SureFit® Guarantee: we guarantee the perfect size, or we’ll pay your return shipping costs if an exchange is needed. That way there’s no doubt your pet will get the perfect fit.

We highly recommend using our SureFit® Calculator as it ensures the perfect custom fit for your pet. It requires a couple measurements, but only so we can provide your pet with the very best experience.

We recognize this takes a few minutes of your time, but those minutes are worth the happiness your pet will experience once they try out their wheelchair for the first time. Our wheelchairs have already helped more than 81,000 other pets. Let’s make that 81,001!

Other companies simply have you select a wheelchair based on weight, but that often results in a poor fit. Why? A 30 lb bulldog has a very different body type from a 30 lb corgi, but those companies will provide both with the same wheelchair.

Use the SureFit Calculator

Got Questions?

Over the past 20 years, our pet mobility experts have handled more than 49,000 calls. No matter your question, we've got the answer. Give us a call!

Call us now at (888) 439-3942

Call Us Now



Applied automatically at checkout

Some exclusions apply. Free shipping on orders over $49 will be automatically applied at checkout for delivery within the continental US only. International shipping rates and shipping to Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico will be calculated based on order’s size, weight, and final destination. Oversized and Certified Pre-Owned products are not included.

DIY Dog Wheelchair Customization

Thank you to Walkin’ Wheels dog wheelchair customer John Stevens from Massachusetts for contributing these instructions for custom fitting the wheelchair for an amputee. John custom fitted this “stump hammock” for his 10-year-old dog Jasmine, who lost her right rear leg. Jasmine (Jazzy) is a long-coated Rottweiler, shown in photos below.

This is how I figured out the “hammock tension” for Jasmine

  1. A dog her size and shape carries 75% of their weight on their front legs. Since Jazzy is 80 lbs., the remaining 25% equals 20 lbs.
  2. I set up her hammock rather loosely, by affixing the stationary side and the rear of the canvas to the frame. I used grommets where the zip ties went thru the fabric to avoid rip-outs. I zip-tied the inside of the hammock to the foam-covered strap from her good leg. Then I stretched out the back of the hammock by affixing the initial strap to the left rear corner. The pictures tell it much better than I can write it.
disabled dog gets wheelchair
amputee dog hammock for wheelchair
amputee dog hammock for wheelchair
  1. Now here’s the tricky part: I set the wheels a little high and left the hammock a little loose. I harnessed her up and put her remaining rear leg on a bathroom scale. At this point, it registered 20 lbs., which is her entire rear end poundage. I played with the wheel height and strap tensions until the bathroom scale registered only 10 lbs. under her single back leg. Making sure the hammock was snug around her stump, I could assert that the off-side was carrying 10 lbs. also. That’s half of the 25%; in this case 10 lbs.
  2. It took several days and a lot of adjusting and coffee, but it actually came out perfectly.
dog wheelchair for tripod dog

I made some other small changes like cutting down and re-drilling the front frame sliders to get her butt and stump closer to the back of the chair. Left as it was, her remaining leg was too far forward and hampered by the foam-covered strap. Keep in mind that the missing leg actually starts at the butt and goes forward, but where it joins the torso it’s more aft, so it was necessary to have support all the way back.

Jasmine Laying Down

Most amputees have to hop. By re-fitting this chair like I did, Jasmine is able to retain the four-legged dog gait. This means her spine stays straight, her rear leg gets walking benefits rather than constant hops, and of course it helps to protect her remaining hip. Jasmine only uses this chair on long walks. She can go over a mile comfortably, but I don’t push the envelope. Mile+ every two days is fine.

Basically, it’s within everyone’s grasp to custom fit a chair. I did have the advantage of having built a slew of choppers and also many boats!

Thank you again to John Stevens for helping others to customize their dog wheelchairs.

Save 5%