Walkin’ Pets is pleased to present the 2017 Winners. You will fall in love with these amazing pets who don’t let anything stop them in their Walkin’ Wheels wheelchairs!
Winners were chosen by popular vote by the HandicappedPets.com Facebook community of over 100,000 worldwide fans. But it is safe to say that ALL of the 137 contestants are winners. Each pet is cherished, each pet has a story to tell, and the HandicappedPets.com community loves every one of them.
Go HERE to see photos of all 137 contestant finalists!
Around the World
The 137 contestant finalists were from around the world. Here’s a map showing what countries and which states were represented in the contest.
The 13 winning photos came from England (2), Hong Kong, Canada, Thailand, and the United States (8). The U.S. winners came from Arizona, Florida, Mississippi, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Vermont.
All the pets entered into the contest were dogs, with one exception — a lamb named Lily. She was one of the winners, the runt of triplet Dorper lambs, who uses a Walkin’ Wheels quad wheelchair. Janell Jensen, who has cared for the lamb from the day she was born, says,
“Her wheelchair has literally been a lifesaver for her.”
The pet with the most votes was Coke. Rescued in Thailand by Michael Baines, known as “The Man That Rescues Dogs,” Coke will be featured on the calendar’s cover. Michael rescued Coke more than three years ago. Coke was run over by a motorbike which caused paralysis in his hind legs. The dog wheelchair gave Coke his freedom again. It’s great to see videos of him running on the beach with his friends!
More Winning Profiles
- Yogi, a three-year-old St. Bernard from Devon, England, has degenerative joints in his legs. This gentle giant uses a quad wheelchair on days when he needs the extra help.
- Winter, a German Shepherd from Florida, was a retired seeing eye dog. She passed away at the age of 16 and only needed a wheelchair in her last six months of life.
- Tessa, a 13-year-old mixed breed from Hong Kong, has degenerative myelopathy. But nothing stops her from loving life and playing in the water at the beach!
- Stephie Lynn, an eight-year-old English Bulldog from Mississippi, developed kyphosis due to a spinal trauma two years ago. It’s pretty obvious that this dog has style and attitude to spare!
- Eros, a one-year-old Siberian Husky from Arizona, is being fostered until he is fully healed after having both rear paws amputated. He loves his wheels!
- Ollie, a four-year-old English Springer Spaniel from New Jersey, has hypomyelination, a neurological condition. His owner says, “He’s a sweet little guy who loves everyone!”
. . . And More
- Eva, a 12-year-old Cane Corso Mastiff from Pennsylvania, just passed away after a courageous life, despite earlier years of abuse before being rescued. Her last two years were full of love.
- Wheeler, a six-year-old Schnoodle from Ontario, Canada, has lots of personality. A neurological disorder and underdeveloped spinal cord don’t stop him from enjoying his outdoor play time!
- Kenny, a pit bull mix, and Heath, a Cattle-Heeler mix, from Vermont, are both rescues. Kenny passed away last year, but the four-year-old Heath has loads of energy and new canine siblings.
- Chester, a nine-year-old Bernese Mountain Dog from Tyne and Wear, England, lived a full life in a loving home. He recently passed away from lung cancer.
- Ariel, a one-year-old German Shepherd rescue, is currently being fostered in North Carolina and is looking for a forever home! A genetic spinal defect, hemivertebrae, caused her to lose mobility in her rear legs, but not her spirit or her ability to love and be loved!
Pre-orders of the 2017 Walkin’ Wheels Calendar are now being taken for a November delivery: Proceeds from sales of the $9.95 calendar will be donated to the Handicapped Pets Foundation.
Thank you to everyone who participated in the fun of this year’s Walkin’ Wheels Calendar Contest!
Did we answer all your questions on "winning contest"?